It's really tempting to jump on the band wagon, and do a J K post this week. I've never been one to resist temptation so I will. She sold 490 copies pre-outing in hardback, and has been around the 80k rank mark on amazon.com for most of her post release time. That's 1 a day territory. Generous estimates suggest 1500 sales total.
· Amazing blurbs - from Val McDermid, Peter James etc.
· A kick ass cover ( in the UK - god knows what the US designer was going for, it doesn't work for me, as a genre fiction cover)
· Publisher's weekly review (starred)
· Amazon vine program entry (where Little Brown give free copies to Amazon reviewers in return for reviews)
· Massive media attention - reviews include The Times, Daily Mail, Morning Star
· A compelling fake bio (who wouldn't want to see inside the life of a real MI6 guy basing stories off his life experiences? I think she crossed an ethical line on this one - it wasn't a mere pseudonym.
· An audiobook narrated by no less than Phillip Glenister
· A generous 465 page length
By almost all accounts, it's a great book. But it didn't find a market in the first 3 months. That says alot about competition in this market. You can have a great book, all the marketing expertise of Big Publishing... and still not sell.
I've not read it (yet), but I probably will out of curiosity. Now a really humble author would never point out that Dead on Demand sold better than this (without any promo budget to speak of - you guys know we did it all on a three figure expense sheet - numbers on old posts if you want to go hunting for the exact amount)... but J K is now kicking our ass, as one would expect.
Speaking of which, our previous #SampleSunday author Julia Hughes is now rocking up the kindle charts at #19 in British Detectives with An Explosive Time. It's 99c today - over at http://www.amazon.com/Explosive-Celtic-Cousins-Adventures-ebook/dp/B007COSZX6/
Thank you to those of you that have checked out our Sunday features. We're aiming to bring you the best of the bunch, once a week at 99c or free. If any authors are reading this, and want a spot please just ask.